What are some things we should do? There are 4 types of changes we need to make:
1. Use less fuel and utilize alternative energy sources. While you may not be able to afford a hybrid car, you can do other things to reduce your fuel consumption such as, drive less, use a bicycle or a motor scooter. Replace appliances with solar or energy efficient brands. Turn off the lights in your home and use cfl’s.
2. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. These actions need to be done in order. The first thing is that we want to use less and consume less. This reduces the amount of products in our landfills. Landfills are one the biggest sources of green house gas that affects the environment and a source of toxins in our water and soil. The most important items that need to be reduced are plastic grocery bags, plastic water bottles, and product packaging.
3. Use Product from Natural and Sustainable Sources Most popular would be bamboo or corn instead of wood from trees or plastics. Our food, household products, and personal care products should also not contain artificial ingredients, colors and artificial fragrances. Products can receive a seal of certification that their ingredients are natural and there are websites that will tell you about the ingredients of the products. http://householdproducts.niim.nih.gov/ingredients.htm
4. Purchase from Green Companies. It is popular today to let others know you are a “green” company. However, there continues to be those who are misinformed about what being green means and thus may be “greenwashing.” See: www.terrachoice.com/sixsinsofgreenwashing It is up to you the consumer to know some of the criteria for choosing a green company. Here are two questions to ask:
Do they have a green product or service? This would be something that has a
direct impact on reducing greenhouse gases, part of the reduce, re-use, recycle process, or reduces the effect on our natural resources. Scientific studies also should indicate that they have done their homework and their product is effective.
Do they implement best green practices in their organization?
For example, while a real estate person may not have a green product or service, but as a company they implement best practices. Among other things, they would decide to not use disposable cups, plates, and other such items.
There are organizations that are recognizing other organizations for following best
practices. A couple examples would be the Climate Neutral Award, the Stevie Award, or FGBC (Florida Green Building Council). But most importantly, you can check out an organization’s website for more information about what they are doing to implement Best Green Practices. This is usually found under a link from the
home webpage to information about the company.
Going Green is a Win-Win situation. It helps to reduce Global warming, protect our natural resources, makes us more healthy, and is good for the economy. Knowing some of the best practices and making a commitment to implementing some changes can make a difference.
To find out more details on things you can do, please continue on with the next blog in this Green series
Today there is a growing awareness about the need to become “Green.” However, many people are still unaware of what they should do to really make a difference. This is the first of a series of Green Blogs that will share some significant information that will help you to be aware of the situation and how to implement some of the Green Best Practices that are practical and affordable.
Why should we be concerned about implementing Green Best Practices in our homes and in our community? There are 3 reasons.
1. Reduce the Effects of Global Warming. While there is some controversy over whether or not the fuel we consume contributes to Global Warming, or if we can still reduce enough to make a difference will yet to be determined. However, is the statistics of the changes that are occurring to our planet is alarming. For most people, they would prefer to err on the side of reducing one’s carbon footprint rather than wishing later that we had taken action when we could.
2. Improve the Quality of our Natural Resources. Our natural resources are depleted. We do not have clean air, clean water, clean soil. We have too few trees, too few native plants, and too few animals in their natural habitat.
3. Improve Our Health Today We have seen an increase in the number of health ailments directly related to our unclean environment today. There is an increase in asthma, allergies, cancer, attention deficit disorder and other physical and emotional difficulties. These have been associated with the chemicals and toxins in our food, products we use, and our lack of a natural environment.
The next post I will share with you 4 things we can do that will help us to have a healthy home and healthy planet.
Why do people struggle to become Slim and Healthy? Here are 4 reasons why and how Shaklee can help you to deal with these obstacles.
1. We are nutritionally undereducated.
Most people lack knowledge in selecting and preparing foods that are nutritionally
balanced. And they are not knowledgeable about how each nutrient contributes to a
healthy body. A diet that is not balanced can cause health problems. A diet that is
under 2,000 calories a day may not provide all the nutrition your body needs to
2. We eat for taste, not nutrition.
Most of our processed foods and fast food choices contain high amounts of sugar,
artificial sweeteners, and fats all designed to impress the taste buds. But as you are
probably already aware of the findings that these just may well be the culprits
contributing to poor health and energy. Some of the “healthy” foods we were told to
eat did not appeal to us. We don’t have to sacrifice good tasting food, but we can
help ourselves to “retrain” our tastebuds to favor healthy choices.
3. We have developed poor eating habits.
We eat what we like and what we’re used to rather than what we need. In addition,
we do not have time to always shop and prepare the foods we need. We eat on the
run often resorting to not so healthy fast foods. We skip meals then binge. And the
quality of many of the foods we do get is not what it should be because of how it was
grown, shipped or processed.
4. We are not familiar with the steps to changing our behavior and attitudes.
We are all creatures of habit. That can be a good thing because we need consistency
in our lives. However, when we recognize we may not have acquired healthy habits,
we struggle and often fail because we have not utilized specific skills on how to really
“change.” This is why there is a difference between sacrificing and denying our habits
temporarily just to lose weight and developing a long lasting healthy lifestyle that also
leads to our ideal weight.
These are the reasons why it is important to go on a weight loss program that will help you to lose weight safely, change some of your habits and to keep your weight off!
Here is why I chose to follow the Shaklee 180 weight loss program.
I personally have gone from a size 14 (which was too tight) to a size 6 following the Shaklee program. I have now maintained my size 6 for over 20 years and have excellent health. I would not have been able to do this without the help of Shaklee 180 program and their maintenance/nutritional program.
Try it, I think you will be amazed at the results and how it will help you to deal with the 4 obstacles that may be keeping you from being slim and healthy!
Check it out Shaklee 180